Tuesday 21 March 2017

Please Sponsor my Skydive for LGBTQ Youth Cornwall
















https://www.gofundme.com/lgbtq-youth-cornwall

LGBTQ Youth Cornwall is the organisation that runs YAY! Cornwall (Young and Yourself) 
The youth group for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Questioning young people up to the age of 25 who live, work or who are visiting, at school or college in Cornwall
http://www.lgbtqyouthcornwall.co.uk/

I started off as a young member of the group many years ago, and in the last couple of years have become a volunteer. I wanted to use my personal experiences as a trangender man to help others going through similar things I went through.  We are mostly funded by Children In Need and I want to try and raise some extra money for resources, and help towards funding a larger space. We are desperate for a larger base because we have so many young people seeking support with us now that we don't have a room big enough to hold them all. This has resulted in us having to split the sessions by age group meaning some young people are split up from their peers and also don't get to share valuable experiences between other ages.

Along with the drop in and theme sessions, YAY also run Gender Identity Family days to support young people who identify as trans/non binary/gender non conforming or are questioning their gender identity and also their parents/carers and siblings. 
LGBTQ Youth Cornwall also provide support and awareness sessions for schools and colleges. 

To give you an idea of how important this organisation is here is one of the many similar examples given by one of the young people:
“YAY helped me discover who I was. It helped me to realise that there are other people going through similar things to me and helped me to come out to my friends and mum. At the moment YAY is the only place where I can truly be myself. YAY gave me the confidence and resources to come out to the psychologist I was seeing and pursue appointments at the gender identity clinic. YAY taught me it was ok to be who I am and let me meet other people who have experienced similar things to me and what I hope to experience in the future. Going to YAY gives me hope that I will be accepted and helps me feel less alone. It gives me courage to be myself. Before I was out to my friends and family I never felt truly alone because I had YAY. I use to have a lot of suicidal thoughts about being trans, but being able to be myself at YAY has lessened the intensity and frequency of these. Everyone at YAY is always helpful and they are son generous to give us their time it and it has definitely helped me and I know its helped others too.” For more information please check out the website on the link above. 
Myself and my family are funding the £240 for the skydive for my 25th birthday so all of your donations will be going to directly to YAY (apart from GoFundMe taking 5%). 
The skydive is booked for 24th June 2017
Any donations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for reading,
Adam :)

No comments:

Post a Comment